Kubasaki Alumni Forums

Welcome to the
Kubasaki High School, Okinawa
Alumni Association Forums
久場崎ハイスクール 沖縄

NEW!! Follow us On Twitter!
Kubasaki - The Alternative

Not logged in [Login ]
Portal Portal   Search the forums Search   Frequently Asked Questions FAQ   View member list Member List   Kubasaki High School Alumni Database Alumni Database   Dragons on Facebook Dragons on Facebook   Today's Posts Today's Posts   Forum Stats Stats   RSS Feed Access RSS Feed AccessRadio Radio

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 1946 to 1947 Camp Hayward Okinawa University High School
jscruggs82
Super Administrator

State Flag: Okinawa
Okinawa

Country Flag: Japan
Japan

Mood: Happy as a toad!

[*] posted on 12/11/2009 at 12:49 Share
1946 to 1947 Camp Hayward Okinawa University High School

There seems to be a lot of misprinted information on the internet about the bases.

KHS started on a base called Camp Hayward and Camp Howard is in two places I know of in the world (San Diego North Island [unoficially, I believe] and Korea). Was there ever even an official base called Camp Howard on Okinawa?

One can find Camp Howard listed as the start of KHS all over the place, but, we have picture evidence to the contrary ........

I'll post the picture in my next reply.

The Anzio Bridgehead was Held for the Price
Of a Few Hundred Ordinary Lives

http://okinawa.j-kj.com
jscruggs82
Super Administrator

Okinawa

Japan

[*] posted on 12/11/2009 at 12:57 Share
If I remember correctly

Bev got these pictures through an ebay connection that scanned them and sent them via email.

These are all 1946/1947 images ....

1946OKIU.jpg - 150kB 1946OkiUniv.jpg - 120kB 1946OkiUniva.jpg - 129kB 1946OkiUnivb.jpg - 147kB 1946OkiUnivc.jpg - 138kB 1946OkiUnivd.jpg - 137kB 1946OkiUnive.jpg - 143kB

Maybe beverly could refresh my memory about where they came from ..... I think they were from a magazine? I'll check my email too.

okidonn
Knight

State Flag: Arizona
Arizona

Country Flag: United States of America
United States of America

[*] posted on 12/11/2009 at 17:25 Share

Those are photos I supplied Bev some time ago, the sign was a seperate photo I have in my collection and the others came from a booklet titled "1st Air Division - Okinawa" published in 1947.

I also have a copy of the Weekly Okinawan newspaper from 1946 with an article that says "Okinawa University" was located at "Camp Hayward"

okidonn
jscruggs82
Super Administrator

Okinawa

Japan

[*] posted on 12/11/2009 at 18:20 Share

Excellent!! Thanks for clearing that up and for providing the souce reference!!

I thought the pic of the Bus/Sign was from somewhere else, it is far clearer than the others. Now I know I was right!

I hate the "I don't really know where this came from" line!

You, my friend, are one heck of a valuable resource!

PS: Was there ever a Camp Howard that you are aware of on Okinawa? It would seem very odd to have a Camp Howard there as well as in Korea (I've been to Camp Howard, Korea during my Army Career)

okidonn
Knight

Arizona

United States of America

[*] posted on 12/11/2009 at 18:55 Share

I have done a lot of searching for Camp Howard and have found nothing "so far". I think that someone a long time ago just mixed up Hayward and Howard. I will go with the photo and the Weekly Okinawan article until someone can prove otherwise.
jscruggs82
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
1/28/2010 at 18:56
okidonn
Knight

Arizona

United States of America

[*] posted on 4/10/2010 at 10:46 Share
Camp Hayward Okinawa University High School 1946-47

It took a while and a lot of luck but I finally found out who the girl was in the Camp Hayward Okinawa University sign photo.

The girl is Natalie Merritt, a senior at Okinawa University High School in 1946-47. She is the daughter of Capt. Robert Merritt, the writer and compiler of the book “1st Air Division Okinawa” published in 1947, and Marian Chapple Merritt author of “Is Like Typhoon” published in 1954.

I have been in personal contact with her and she has confirmed that she was the one in the photo. After graduating she went back to the states for college and after college she came back again in 1952 with her parents on their second tour of Okinawa and she worked for the Okinawa Morning Star newspaper as the first women’s editor.

I have included some other photos and Natalie’s comments below.

Photo of Natalie and two Okinawa girls from “1st Air Division Okinawa” published in 1947.

“that is a picture of me with Cheoko and Fumiko, our two maids. We were asked to take as many maids as we could, providing them with meals. They were paid out of repatriated funds and it was a way to get money back into the Okinawan economy. So we had two maids for the three of us. Fumiko used to help me with my algebra homework.”

Photo of children at school bus from “1st Air Division Okinawa” published in 1947.

“Look closely at the picture of the bus. In the doorway at the top of the picture is a woman with a white scarf around her head (right side of door). That is my mother, Marian Merritt, who served as principal of the elementary school.”

Photo of Natalie kneeling at a tea ceremony at the Tea House of the August Moon from her mother’s book “Is Like Typhoon” published in 1954.

okiuniv1946 natalie merritt.jpg - 1.8MB 1stADa-1.jpg - 1.5MB 1stADb-1.jpg - 913kB

grogan086.jpg - 997kB

Go To Top